SOx removal in Marine Vessels
Future Regulations – Support the Vote for 2020
In October 2016, the IMO will go to vote deciding whether a stricter, global Sulphur oxides limit will be implemented in 2020 – or delayed to 2025. It is known that Sulphur oxides (SOx) cause many deaths every year. Setting a global Sulphur oxides cap will have a positive effect on the air we breathe and save thousands of lives every year.
Feasibility studies show that there is sufficient supply of required fuel oil and suitable abatement technologies to help all vessels comply with a global legislation.
Yara Marine Technologies has installed over 100 SOx removal inline scrubbers to maritime vessels, and continues to do so. Each inline scrubber can already remove SOx to the legal requirement that is being reviewed for 2020.
Why removal of Sulphur oxides from the air we breathe is needed.
Act now. Support the vote for 2020 implementation.
Reduce SOx (Sulphur dioxide) emissions from ship’s engine(s) with Yara’s Green Tech Marine® inline scrubbers.
Yara Marine Technologies offer a complete portfolio of SOx Scrubber technology, installation and services. By using scrubbers from Yara Marine Technologies, ships can continue to operate on Heavy Fuel Oil avoiding the more costly Marine Gas Oil. The vessel will be compliant with the strict IMO SOx emissions regulation. The cost saving per ton fuel consumed is expected to rise even higher as the 0,1% Sulphur limit is now implemented. Yara Marine Technologies’ Green Tech Marine® inline scrubbers make it simple to meet new environmental regulations. It is the most economical SOx scrubber for the marine segment, with the safest handling and the highest quality components in anti-corrosion steel, giving it the same lifetime as the vessel in which it is installed.
The scrubbers are tailor made to any engine size/vessel, and with an extremely small footprint, does not affecting existing passenger and/or cargo space. Of course Yara Marine Technologies also provide any required service anywhere the vessel may be.
- Our inline scrubber can handle any sulphur content in the fuel up to 3,5%S in both open and closed loop mode
- We offer high quality scrubbers at competitive prices, with the lowest lifecycle cost in the market
- Because our in-line scrubbers have no moving parts or bypass, they are easily installed in the funnel area
- Our standard is to use high grade stainless steel, and we can offer extended guarantees against corrosion
- The inline scrubber system only requires the same space as the silencer (approximately) that it replaces, simplifying installation
- MgO as alkali requires/occupies less storage space than caustic soda
- Green Tech Scrubbers are the only scrubbers working with harmless Magnesium Oxide as alkali in closed loop and no dangerous caustic soda is required. MgO is supplied as powder, and is easily available all across the globe
- Your operational cost using Magnesium Oxide will be only ¼ of the corresponding cost of using caustic soda, as Magnesium is a superior alkali when operating in zero washwater discharge areas (ports/coastlines).
Read more about how SOx scrubbers for marine vessels can reduce costs, while meeting IMO requirements.